Friday, January 26, 2007

Creative Worship

I was in the shower yesterday, and I got to thinking. Actually, I do a lot of my best thinking in the shower. Anyways, I got to thinking about worship, worshiping, singing, etc. I was focusing on how in congregational worship, I often have my most positive experiences when I am leading or helping to lead (i.e. playing and/or singing), then when I am not. At first I thought maybe I just wasn’t “entering in” like I should or whatever, but I don’t think this is the case, at least not always.

What I realized was this; when I am playing an instrument, I am, to various extents, being creative with a gift that God has given me. I think there is much to ponder here, this aspect of creativity and worship.

God is creative. If you believe in a creator God, you cannot then say He is not creative. We are created in His image. That’s what we are told in Genesis. Therefore, we are creative. I think a major lie that the Devil spreads in this world (especially in the church) is one of “I am not creative.” The phrase is NEVER TRUE when spoken by a human being. We are created in the image of a creative God and are, ALL of us, creative. This being said, we are not all “Artsy”. I’m NOT talking about being artsy, but creative.

There are two ways, which I can think of, that will kill a man’s soul. The first is isolating him so that he can not be in relationship. The second is not letting him be creative. To never have the chance to build, to sing, to write, to design, to equate, to play. Nothing saps the soul like working in a production line. Therefore, when we approach God in worship, if we can not be creative, we will feel that something is lacking.

Now in corporate times of worship, as my room mate pointed out, we can “link” ourselves to someone else being creative, and worship in this way. I believe this is true. To be a witness to someone expressing their God given creativity can lead us to worship.

So what do we do? Get creative! Try new things, do things you enjoy, and worship God that you can enjoy these things because He made you that way. Let the awesomeness of being made in His image flood you with wonder until worship flows out naturally. Don’t get caught in routine and pattern, but let each encounter with God be new and fresh and wonderful.

I could go on, but I will stop now before I digress.

For more thoughts on Worship, check out my roommate’s blog: thinkingofworship.blogspot.com

Cheers y’all!

2 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger Micah and Katie said...

I would have to say that I wholeheartedly agree : ) Worship should be a lot more fun than it is. Nevertheless, it is always wonderful to sing God's praises no matter what's going on. I love in the Psalms how David is always saying: "I will praise you in the congregation!". I get excited about that. There's something very "primal" (if that's the right word) about singing and dancing! It's so basic and wonderful, like when kids bob in front of the stereo! hahaha.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh, thanks for this!

Have you read "Walking on Water" by Madeleine L'Engle? She has some great thoughts on creativity, and what is is to be a Christian artist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home